quinta-feira, setembro 02, 2004

Factores de Compressão

Four Percent

I recently got a DVD drive for my computer, and as a result I've become interested in the finer points of DVDs and their manufacture. Thus, I have been reading about DVDs and have learned some startling information.
In theatres movies play at 24 frames per second. This is an international standard, and is the same wherever you go. TV, on the other hand, has at least two different standards: NTSC, and PAL. NTSC basically runs at 30 frames per second, whereas PAL runs at 25.
All these different frame rates cause issues when it comes to converting movies to TV (Or DVD). I'm not going to discuss how they do the conversion to NTSC, but I am going to talk about the conversion to PAL, since my country uses the PAL system.
So how do they convert a 24 frame per second movie into a 25 frame per second movie? They speed it up. They just take a movie intended to be played at 24 frames per second, and play it at 25 frames per second. Now this is such a minute speed-up that the average person doesn't even notice any difference.
The only thing is that now the movie is 4% shorter.
A two hour movie is shortened by maybe five minutes. If you watch Fight Club at the movies, and I watch it on DVD, I will have an extra five minutes in my day that you didn't have.
It's only 4%, but imagine that accumulating over the course of a lifetime. Let's say I live to be 75. If I live my life 4% faster, I will accomplish everything I was going to do in that 75 year lifespan by the time I'm 72. I will have THREE WHOLE YEARS extra to do with what I please.
Can you think of anything else, other than quitting smoking, which will extend your life by three years?
Start living your life 4% faster today.